At my feet


Buffalo’s west side is gorgeous. The houses have wonderful character and no two are exactly alike.   The place we are renting now was built in 1890.  When you first walk in you may experience a bit of vertigo as over the years it’s begun to slouch.  Seriously, put a marble in my kitchen and it rolls directly to the front porch. 

Miles, Leo, and I go on two or three long walks a day.  On one of our very first, I promised myself I would take photos of the steel markers in the sidewalks and make some sort of art out of them. I am not very artsy fartsy but we have decent camera that’s been sitting unused so we went out the other day and made some “art”. 


My hope was to give you a historic blurb on each marker, sadly there  is not a wealth of information out there.  The plates date between 1885 and were used by cement paving companies through the 1920s. 
"Our studies of the local sidewalk pavement industry have not yet turned up any written accounts or other records from those now-deceased contractors or their workers or families"
John Maxfield Hague
Chuck LaChiusa
Paul M. Rooney
 (1918-2007)
Craig Carlyle Clarke

The Biography on Eli David Hofeller, the founder of Crescent Concrete Company, is very interesting. Check it out!




 *Over the next few months I hope to discover more markers and get some Autumn shots with bright orange and read leaves all about, won’t that be lovely?



                                                   Hopeful to find a complete one soon...






Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Delivery Day

Thong be gone

Yep, I'm blogging