Screen time

Chef Miles in the new place
About a month ago, right around the time we moved into our new home, Rob and I decided to make a big change. We were going to try to be screen free. Miles was spending about 4-6 hours a day in front of either the TV, my phone, or the IPAD. I work from home and when we were living in a small,upper level apartment it was difficult to keep him occupied while I worked. Excuses excuses:) There were times he would happily play with his toys while the TV was in the background but it was clear the screens were making him different somehow.

He still had a great imagination and love of music but he was kind of a jerk. His crankiness levels were sky high and when we would try to take the screen away he would throw a tantrum. Even his energy levels were effected. You could just tell he was wound up and exhausted all at once. 

I spoke with my mom, older sister, and some friends before reading up on the effects of too much screen time. Some of the articles were scary and I knew I had to do something fast. I didn’t want any more time to pass, especially since we will be welcoming a baby brother soon.

Armed with an audible account that my mom and sister have packed full of amazing stories, read along books and CDs from the library (also from mama), and a few select youtube stories with simple pictures we started our journey.
 THE most adorable book basket made by my talented sister. It matches his blanket!

I cannot begin to say how happy I am with the result. Miles is using his imagination like never before. He listens to classical music for sometimes over an hour and just hums along while he quietly plays with his toys. He is not nearly as cranky and tantrums are few and far between. I have always prioritized reading actual books to him. That was mostly a bedtime ritual but lately he is asking for books to be read to him right when he wakes up and throughout the day!
 
Miles listening and reading along to his absolute favorite: Tubby the Tuba. 
We have a few select IPAD games that he is allowed to play for when (to be honest) I need a break.  This whole no screen thing has made me a more involved parent and while I am loving this new relationship, I’m 10 months pregnant and get real tired real quick.


Our new work from home set up- Miles is drawing while listing to Rudyard Kipling Just So Stories and I'm able to work and interact with him simultaneously.

Thank you to all the parents who inspired us to make this change. 
I truly appreciate either your advice or just your example. 

Comments

  1. 10 months pregnant!!!! No wonder you need a break!😘

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the insight! Sienna doesn't watch much TV, maybe 1-2 hours a week....but she ALWAYS wants our phones. I've started totally leaving mine in a different room when I'm reading to her/playing with her. I agree that it makes them different. I'm going to have to look into the read a long book thing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Thong be gone

Delivery Day

Yep, I'm blogging